Pop culture influence
- In 2009, the song “The Look of Love” was performed by the cast in a song and dance number on the US CW TV serial drama series Valentine, as part of the plot in which the goddess Aphrodite makes a love match at a karaoke bar.
- The track “So Hip It Hurts” from How To Be A Zillionaire featured in the 1986 film Tough Guys.
- ABC had three number one hits on the US Dance Charts: “The Look of Love” (18 December 1982), “Be Near Me” (28 September – 5 October 1985) and “When Smokey Sings” / “Chicago” (29 August – 5 September 1987).
- Fiona Russell Powell, who joined the group for ABC’s 1985 album How To Be A Zillionaire, was part of the original line-up of the pre ABC band, Vice Versa. According to an article that was published on 7 March 1997, she ‘chickened out’ of Vice Versa’s first live gig, and the job as frontman went to Fry.
- ABC was profiled in a 2004 documentary about bands hailing from Sheffield in the late 1970s-to-early 1980s. Original ABC saxophonist, Stephen Singleton, was interviewed for Made in Sheffield, along with members of The Human League and Heaven 17.